AcE Photographic Flickr

AcE Photographic. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Saturday 3 March 2012

Another Ivy Covered Grave

Next up, another shot from General Cemetery once again of another grave covered in ivy, once again, it was shot with a D7000 & 50mm f/1.8 .

I actually almost missed this shot, as the grave is tucked away between so many other graves and was some distance from the paths leading around the cemetery. I am glad I did get this shot though, quite potentially my personal favourite from the day.

Photo by Alex Earle, all rights reserved


The main thing about this shot that I like is the angle of the grave, not quite facing it directly but also not quite off the side. The messy ivy growing on and around the grave provides focus and interest, without looking neat and fake. It certainly gives the impression that whilst this grave is not completely neglected, it also hasn't been tended to for some time, unlike the photo in my previous post. The depth of field also helps to keep focus on the grave stone, and the bokeh is nice and smooth as you would expect from a 50mm prime lens. There are also no horrible distractions in the background to break focus on the gravestone and ivy.

However, whilst the messy ivy helps to add interest, I do feel that the messy twigs etc. that are more predominant in the upper right portion of the photo are slightly distracting as the light has caught them in such a way that they appear alot more obvious then they actually were. EDIT - I have also just noticed that the memorial isn't standing straight and it is now bugging me. I may have to re-edit this photo or go back out and reshoot it!

However as a whole, I do particularly like shot and I prefer it in colour as opposed to monotone for the contrast of greens and browns.

Well, I must run, have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment