AcE Photographic Flickr

AcE Photographic. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Thursday 8 March 2012

Star Effects

One effect that can be found in photography is making a light source intentionally flare, so it appears to look like a stereotypical star. Now, up until recently I thought that this could only be achieved by either manipulating the image in photoshop or by using a star filter, otherwise known as a cross screen filter.

I have taken this short section from a wikipedia entry on photography filters -

"A cross screen filter, also known as a star filter, creates a star pattern, in which lines radiate outward from bright objects. The star pattern is generated by a very fine diffraction grating embedded in the filter, or sometimes by the use of prisms in the filter. The number of stars varies by the construction of the filter, as does the number of points each star has."
Ref - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photographic_filter#Cross_screen

On the forum that I frequent, I came across this image;
Forum thread ref - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=390281
 
                                    Photo by Matthew Hancox, all rights reserved
                                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt

Now, you will notice upon inspection in the upper third of the photo, that there are two light sources on either side that give the appearance of a star. This is exactly the effect that I am so fond of.

Upon questioning Matthew as to the source of this effect and whether it was intentional, such as manipulating the image in photoshop he explained to me that this effect can be achieved by using a smaller aperture, and that the effect can be even more pronounced by using a longer exposure.

This was unknown to me, and I will be experimenting with this technique in the near future and posting the results on here. I am toying with ideas, but I am leaning towards using candles to try to recreate the effect.

However, this effect can also be done using photoshop, but it is something that I have not tried and will also be giving it a try;

This is another example of Matthews work, which makes full use of the star effect;


    Photo by Matthew Hancox, all rights reserved
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt

In this example, all the stars are naturally captured, except for the car headlights which Matthew has told me was done in photoshop. Again, this may well be something for me to experiment with, capturing both natural stars but also having faux stars in the same photo whilst trying to make the faux stars appear as natural as possible.

Many Thanks to Matthew for allowing me to use these images in my blog, it is greatly appreciated!
Also if anyone happens upon this post please pay his flickr a visit and show him some love!

His flickr, incase you have magically missed the links -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt

Have a nice day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment